New Zealand Society of Genealogists Awards
There are a number of awards for which members of the New Zealand Society of Genealogists are eligible. Click on the Award name to learn more about each award.
Recommendations and nominations for NZSG awards should be made on the NZSG Award Recommendation Form.
This annual award is for an NZSG member who writes and publishes a family history book and donates it to the New Zealand Society of Genealogists during the year.
The Lucy Marshall Award seeks to encourage an NZSG member to share their research, knowledge and skills with others. It is awarded for the best 'how to' article published in The New Zealand Genealogist each year.
NZSG members can recommend their fellow members for a number of NZSG awards.
Recognition of Non-Members Awards
From time to time the Society recognises the significant contribution of a non-member to the work of the Society with a Certificate of Recognition.
In addition to the above NZSG awards, the following award is available to members.
This award is for any original and previously unpublished article published in The New Zealand Genealogist. It can be awarded to NZSG members who must be a member of the New Zealand Society of Genealogists at the time the article is submitted for judging.
It is always a pleasure to acknowledge the efforts our members put into writing up their family histories. The winners of the 2021 Literary Awards are:
Ted Gilberd Literary Trust Family History Award
Stephen Palmer (NZSG #27335) for 'Adventure ahead? First World War experiences of Philip Palmer, organist' - February 2021 issue of The New Zealand Genealogist.
Kevin McAnulty Award
Merle Mounsey (#19793), for "Richmond Recollections". Available from the NZSG Library
Lucy Marshall Award
Paul Hickford (#13587) for 'Mum’s cryptic clue that we missed' - April 2021 issue of The New Zealand Genealogist.
If you wish to read the winners' articles from The New Zealand Genealogist, they are available on our website.
It is also a pleasure to acknowledge those that have provided excellent service at a national level. For the 2021/22 year, we would like to congratulate:
- Elaine Bell #7333 - NZSG Research Officer and Research Advisor for 14 years
- Heather Maloney #22848 - NZSG Returning Officer for 7 years
- Mary Mercer #19697 - NZSG Deputy Returning Officer for 3 years
- John Berntsen #16973 - First Families Queries Officer for 15 years
- Susan Dunn #25198 - FRC Volunteer for 10 years
- Dorothy Walker #5440 - FRC Volunteer for 10 years
- Elaine Bell #7333 - FRC Volunteer for 20 years & 16 years as Team Leader
- Anne Brady #8403 - FRC Volunteer for 20 years & 16 years as Team Leader
- Nancy Buckman #11850 - FRC Volunteer for 20 years & 2 years as Team Leader
- Frances Lankow #12950 - FRC Volunteer for 20 years & 16 years as Team Leader
- Julie Lindenberg #16434 - FRC Volunteer for 20 years & 16 years as Team Leader & 2 years as Kevin McAnulty Award Co-ordinator
- Betty Rush #6569 - FRC Volunteer for 20 years
- Marion Towers #7969 - FRC Volunteer for 20 years & 16 years as Team Leader
- Francie Smith #23561- NZSG Certificates Collection Enquiries - 10 years
- Joyce Mattson #16304 - First Families Collection Officer – 14 years
Past Chair Award
Mary Shadbolt #19638 - Board Chair 2018 to 2021 - 3 years
Certificate of Appreciation
Ruth Kerr #16500 - FRC Volunteer for 3 years
In recognition for service on the Board:
- Tony Mort #25668 2017-2022
- Mary Shadbolt #19638 2015-2022
- Robyn Williams #7238 2011-2022
Certificate of Appreciation
Howard Rickman #27827 2021-2022